The Office of the State Bank Commissioner embraces equitable treatment of regulated institutions, and strives to maintain the highest ethical and professional standards. We believe the maintenance of sound state-chartered financial institutions and the public’s confidence in them is of vital importance to our state’s economy. We strive to incorporate regulatory responsibilities, education, preservation of the dual banking system, and promotion of the public trust in all agency activities. We undertake our responsibilities and goals with a deep sense of commitment to the State of Kansas, its citizens, and the institutions we regulate.
- The Commissioner and senior staff are available to meet in Topeka to provide a quick resolution to questions and concerns.
- The Commissioner is focused on Kansas banking issues, and state regulators provide a local perspective on financial issues that impact the state’s economy.
- Financial examiners reside in the same region in which the institutions are located, allowing for a better understanding of the issues affecting local communities.
- Kansas banking and trust laws are enacted by the state legislature, which is more sensitive to local needs and conditions.
- Agency policy changes are requested at a local level, rather than in Washington D.C.
- The OSBC provides continuing education for all staff in order to better assist financial institutions with difficult issues.
- The OSBC is committed to providing quality service and encourages input from all institutions through a Post Examination Survey which gives bank management the opportunity to comment on our examination processes and procedures.
- OSBC’s assessments are significantly lower than fees assessed for national banks.
- The OSBC is accredited by the Conference of State Banking Supervisors and meets the highest national standards.
- State bankers have the opportunity to participate in the regulatory process through the State Banking Board. This structure allows bankers to work with regulators to achieve a safe, sound, and responsive banking system.